Student Union AStA
The AStA (Allgemeiner Studierendenausschuss, corresponds roughly to a Student Union)is an official institution of HsKA, which consists of four AStA representatives who hold seats in the University’s Senate. AStA officially represents the student body within one of the most important University committees, the Senate. In this way students’ interests are represented by AStA representatives, who take part in all decisions regarding the University. The better communication between the AStA, the Fachschaften (faculty-level Students’ Council) and the student body works, the better students’ interests can be represented.
AStA is also involved in activities regarding university policy and administration or discussions about conditions for studying, often in co-operation with other students’ associations on a local, regional and national level.
The AStA representatives are assisted by fellow students. Except for the secretary, all AStA members are „normal“ students who volunteer to take on these additional responsibilities. In view of the large number of students studying at the University of Applied Sciences, more assistants would be welcome.
AStA is best known by students for the parties it organises at the beginning of every semester, as well as for its summer and winter festivals. Other AStA activities include:
- The Kulturreferad (Culture Committee) organises events, happenings, and parties.
- The Sozialreferat (Welfare Committee) offers help in the case of a student being removed from the register of students, for example, or with the application for a grant, as well as with other social problems.
- The Ausländerreferat (International Committee) organises an International Evening and an International Movie Show every semester, with the support of
- The Kino-Referat (Movie Committee), the members of which run regular Wednesday Evening Movie Shows.
- The Sportreferent (Sport Officer) is in charge of the sports programme which runs in co-operation with the Technical University of Karlsruhe, and is willing to organise volleyball tournaments on students’ request.
- The Öffentlichkeitsreferat (Public Relations Committee) is charged with producing press releases and publications regarding all information about AStA, e.g. the information magazine „Erstiheft“ which helps all newly enrolled students.
For more information, please see the AStA homepage!