For Incoming Interns from Asia to Europe


For incoming interns the WPP provides certain services:

Point of Entry (contacts to the German UBN)

The coordinator of the ASEM WPP provides contacts to companies in the German UBN for an internship in certain areas of study. The ASEM WPP is supporting the students that way in their search for an internship in Germany.

The UBN project coordinator at Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences provides a databank with companies that already employed international interns in applied sciences.


Information for incoming students and international host organizations 

The Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences is providing a Jobwall for incoming students and companies. Companies are usually placing internship offers in this medium or on other websites.




Akademiker online

BA - Bundesagentur für Arbeit





Job Scout 24







Karriere Tips


Mein Praktikum


Prabo - die Praktikumsbörse



Praktikum Info



Application Procedure

Interns from Asia should  start to search for an internship in Germany 6 to 7 month before the intended start of the internship. 

In some regions of Germany housing as well should be planed approximately 6 months in advance or as soon as  possible (in the south of Germany this issue is more urgent than in the north, more urgent in urban areas than in rural districts).

Applying for an internship

Students interested in internships should establish contact with the company beforehand. A quick call to the technical or human resources department can be helpful before applying. 

The contact lets the students clarify a couple of important questions: Where will the intern be working? How is the application process structured? What should the intern expect? This helps students to design a more targeted application folder.

Following the DAAD recommendation the application folder has to include: 

  • A cover letter to a specific contact;
  • A clear and compelling CV;
  • Records of schooling and studies (transcript of records);
  • Work references;
  • Work samples;
  • Letters of recommendation.

Checking of Documents

The coordinator of the ASEM WPP at the Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences is checking student's application documents before submission to ensure the application will meet European/German standards. (The probability for an international student to get engaged by a company rises due to the check and the enrollment in an international work placement program.)

ZAV - International Placement Service of the Federal Employment Agency

Foreign students need a work permit in order to undertake a work placement in Germany. Students, who are residents of the European Union (EU) as well as from Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland are excluded. For doing an internship certain exemptions from the work permit apply.

One organizational service the Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences is providing for the incoming interns is to organize the proceeding with the ZAV. International students from Asia will need an Exemption from the Work Permit to do an internship in Germany. The exemption could be granted for a maximum of 12 month.

For the ZAV application procedure the Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences needs the following documents:

  • ZAV form 
  • Certificate of enrollment by the home university proofing the evidence of the student's status in the home country (valid at least until the end of the internship);
  • A passport (valid at least till one month before and after the work placement)
  • Official letter or contract from the enterprise providing the internship with the following informations:
  1. Duration of internship (start and end date);
  2. Contact person in the company;
  3. Remuneration (per month);
  4. Working hours per day;
  5. Working days per week;
  6. Department;
  7. Leave entitlement.

All documents are to be sent to Helga Feilke

Please note that no more than 40 working hours per week are permitted. If the intern works less than 40 hours, it has to be specified, that the working hours are equal to a full-time employment for interns. 

In voluntary placements interns have to be treated like regular employees regarding the holiday entitlement. Law prescribes the holiday entitlement.

If monthly salary is less than 670 € gross, please fill out the formal obligation. The formal obligation has to be completed by a third person, not the employer.

Minimum Wage at Internship

Since January 2015 companies in Germany have to pay with at least a minimum wage of 9,19 € per hour. No minimum wages are paid in case of some exceptions.

Exceptions are:


  • Compulsory internships due to the curriculum;
  • Voluntary work placements of students with a maximum duration of three month parallel to a study program;
  • Working on a thesis project is not defined as internship. Though if the thesis is necessary due to the curriculum, an exception from minimum wage is possible.

Not all notices on internships include information on the salary. Sometimes longer internships are provided (full-time up to a year). In these cases Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences cares to organize the internship accordingly the current legal situation: The minimum wage is to be paid even for internships. 


The duration of the compulsory internship is determined by the student's study program and examination regulation. Though many companies prefer to to employ interns at least 3 - 6 month.

The Housing Situation in Germany

Housing especially in the southern part of Germany, may be a daunting task to all students. In bigger cities like Munich and Stuttgart suitable accommodation tends to be most limited and very expensive. Accommodation is getting a bit cheaper in eastern Germany or smaller cities.

The biggest chunk in monthly expenses and costs of students is spent for accommodation, a countrywide average of 298 € per month according to the DAAD 2015.

Rooms, (shared) flats or accommodations or other student adequate housing conditions (i.e. hostels, dormitories, subtenant in a private condominium) are rare and rental fees tend to be high

It is highly recommended to search for an accommodation as soon as possible. 


Citizens of non-EU-states a visa is obligatory to come to Germany. 

Visa applicants have to hand in their visa application as part of a personal interview at the German Embassy (or consulate general) provided in their home country. 

It is highly recommended to inquire in advance about the procedure on the website of the relevant embassy. Many diplomatic missions already have application forms in various languages on their website for free download. They give important information about the necessary documents needed, as well as contact details and opening times.

Visa regulations German Embassy Thailand

Working, training and studying in Germany, German Embassy Indonesia

Visa Applications, German Embassy Brunei

Living in Germany

The DAAD helps students from abroad with general information. Tips for every day are relevant to interns as well.

Information about student's costs of living may be useful for interns, too.

Interns will be accepted from companies throughout Germany. The DAAD and Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences provide information about Germany for international students.

Local information about any other city is available at least in German language on the web.

Anyone wanting to live, study or work in Germany needs at least health insurance. Without this you won't be able to apply for an internship.


Students should ask their insurance provider, if their main insurances apply abroad. Depending on country and duration of the internship special conditions are valid. For an internship in the ASEM WPP in Germany certain insurances are mandatory.

Accident and Health Insurance

Holding a valid health insurance is mandatory while working in Germany. Getting an additional foreign health insurance is highly recommended.

The intern should ask beforehand, if he or she is getting an accident and casualty insurance provided by the enterprise for their internship. Getting a private accident insurance is highly recommended.

The difference between a (statutory) health insurance and an accident insurance is, that while the health insurance cares for first medical treatment, only the accidental insurance pays for consequential damages to your health. An accident insurance is indispensable. Please take care, that your insurance is not a travel insurance for you will need insurance protection for the whole duration of your internship at your workplace.

Liability Insurance

Interns are not in all cases insured with the employer's liability insurance at their workplace. If the company does not provide a liability insurance, it is highly recommended, that the intern should get a liability insurance. Liability insurances pay for damages caused by the intern. Take into account that pure private liability insurance will not pay for damages caused at the workplace! Please talk about this with your insurance company!

DAAD as an Insurance Provider for International Interns 

The DAAD is offering for a monthly fee of 32,00 € a combined insurance package. The insurance can only be taken out by students, who either complete a compulsory internship in line with their study regulations (enrollment at a higher education establishment) and/or by students, who are placed or funded by the DAAD or one of it's partner organizations  for the duration of a voluntary internship. 


Center of Competence
Martina Link
Mo - Do 09:00 - 12:00 Uhr,
Di & Do 13:00 - 15:00 Uhr nach Vereinbarung

F 314
Moltkestr. 30, 76133 Karlsruhe
Phone 0721 925-2501
Fax 0721 925-2504
Email Martina.Linkspam

Approach plan