Online application!
Please register via online platform


List of documents for application

1. pre-register form

2. application form

3. copies of academic degree certificates (BA, MA) with grade

4. information about the applied grading system (best grade of system, pass grade of system)

5. list of passed examinations with credit points (cp)

6. information about the used cp system (cp per semester)

7. curriculum vitae

8. certificate confirming your good knowledge in English language (level B2 of CEFR)

- TOEFL test with score of 500 (PBT) points minimum (or 173 CBT, 61 iBT)
- IELTS 5.5 or above
- Cambridge First Certificate in English (FCE)
- Association of Language Testers in Europe (ALTE) Level 3
- London Tests of English: Level 3
- Certificate confirming English as language of instruction during your first degree programme

9. description of professional experience with references in Geomatics-related fields (GIS, Remote Sensing, Computing, Cartography, Surveying, Geodesy, …)

Download list for application

Guidelines for Selection of Applicants in GEOMATICS

Minimum Requirements (Eingangsfeststellungsverfahren)

1st Academic Degree
   BSc, BTech, BEng, Dipl.-Ing., Dipl.-Ing. (FH), …

   cartography, geomatics, geodesy, surveying, geography, civil engineering, regional planning,
   remote sensing, GIS, …

Mandatory passed subjects
   1 module in GIS (equivalent to 6 ECTS) and 1 module in programming (equivalent to 6 ECTS)

Grade Point Average
   GPA ≤ 2.3 (German grading system: 1.0 best, 4.0 pass level) or grade "B" of ECTS

English Certificate
   TOEFL or equivalent test / native speaker / language of instruction


Selection Process with ranking (Bewerberauswahlverfahren)

Education Background
  Max. 1.0 point per topic (AP)
  (basics of cartography, basics of surveying, cartography/geodesy, informatics, programming,
  geography, GIS, statistics/adjustment, graphic data processing, mathematics)

   Points out of GPA (LP)


   GRE-factor out of the results of the GRE-test (0,75 < GREF < 1,25)


   BP = AP * LP * GREF  (see Admission Regulations)

Note: GREF is only considered if it improves the ranking points.


Download application form

Application for admission for a course of study (PDF, 54KB)


Download Pre-register

Pre-register for GEOMATICS (PDF, 26KB)
Pre-register for GEOMATICS (Word, 52KB)

Exchange Students

Exchange Students for Master’s Degree Programme Geomatics (EZ-Zulassung)

Exchange students are international students who spend a part of their study program at HsKA but graduate at their home university. The length of the stay amounts to 1 semester or 1 year. Sufficient language skills are a fundamental condition.

If you are a student of one of our partner institutions you can be admitted as an exchange student (EZ-Zulassung) to our Master’s Program Geomatics with the following requirements:

  • You must send a learning agreement with your application. Contact your home university coordinator for the form, or download here.
    Students are expected to fill in the learning agreement. This agreement must be signed by themselves, their home university and the host institution. It is an informal contract that indicates precisely what lectures the student is going to study. It should be completed well before arriving at the host institution. Subsequent modifications are permitted as long as they are agreed with all parties concerned. At the end of the study period abroad, the host university will provide the exchange student as well as the home university with a report recording the results obtained in the agreed programme of study (transcript of records).
  • Professional skills:
    First academic degree or equivalent (BSc, BEng, Dipl.-Ing., Ing., …) in Geomatics or related fields.
    If the exchange student has no first academic degree and his University does not offer the Bachelor-Master system, it is sufficient that the student has passed all exams of the third year at his home university. This allows to be admitted as “EZ-student”.
  • Language skills:
    Language of instruction is English. Students are asked to provide English language skills equivalent to level B2 of CEFR.

In order to apply as an exchange student, please use our online portal.

An exchange student admitted as “EZ-student” can not gain a Master's degree from our university; even if the student has enough credits as required for the Master's degree.

After the exam period (February / July) the exchange student receives a transcript of records with name of exams, German grades, credits and grades in ECTS.

Download Exchange Students for Master’s Degree Programme (EZ-Zulassung)


DAAD – German Academic Exchange Service

The German Academic Exchange Service is one of the world's largest and most respected intermediary organisations in its field. Scores of students, teachers, researchers and scientists supported by the DAAD have been able to gain valuable experience abroad.


In its graduate and post graduate programmes the FES supports students and academics with outstanding qualifications from Germany and abroad for whom an academic education is not only a first step in their professional career but expresses their commitment to democracy, the state and society.


The foundation provides moral and material support to gifted young people not only from Germany but also from Central and Eastern Europe and from developing countries.


The Scholarship Programme is open to foreign students and postgraduates at German universities if applicants qualify according to the scholarship requirements.

Evangelisches Studienwerk e.V. Villigst

The foundation offers scholarships to graduate students regardless of subject. Students apply on their own initiative. Scholarships are awarded in compliance with the regulations of the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research and depend on the scholar's own income as well as on his or her personal/family situation.

KAAD – Katholischer Akademischer Ausländer-Dienst

The main emphasis of the KAAD is directed specifically towards graduates who within the framework of partner programs, are invited to the German Federal Republic for research or graduate study. The choice of countries is made in consultation with the Episcopal Aid Organisations and the German Catholic Bishops’ Conference.

List of further scholarship awarding agencies in Germany

Carl Duisberg Gesellschaft (CDG)   http://cdg-carlduisberg.com
Cusanuswerk (CuW)   http://www.cusanuswerk.de
Diakonisches Werk der EKD (DW)   http://www.diakonie.de
Fritz-Thyssen-Stiftung (FTS)   http://www.fritz-thyssen-stiftung.de
Gottlieb Daimler- und Karl Benz-Stiftung   http://www.daimler-benz-stiftung.de
Heinrich-Hertz-Stiftung (HHS)   http://www.heinrich-hertz-stiftung.de
Hanns-Seidel-Stiftung (HSS)   http://www.hss.de
Lutherischer Weltbund   http://www.lutheranworld.org
Otto Benecke-Stiftung (OBS)   http://www.obs-ev.de
Studienstiftung des deutschen Volkes (StuSti)   http://www.studienstiftung.de
Südosteuropa-Gesellschaft (SOG)   http://www.suedosteuropa-gesellschaft.com

FAQ - Frequently asked questions


Where can I get the application forms and a list of documents for the application?

Application for admission of a course fo study (PDF, 54KB)
Download Pre-register for Geomatics (PDF, 26KB)
Download Pre-register for Geomatics (Word, 52KB)

When is the pre-selection?

The pre-selection starts every year in February/March.

Who is eligible for the program?

B.Sc. or equivalent degree in cartography, geography, geodesy, surveying or geoecology is required.

Can I send you copies of my documents?

Yes, but all copies must be truly certified.


Study contents

Where can I find information about lecturing modules?

Media of teaching: Lectures, seminars and exercises in labs.
For details see

Forschungsgruppe Geomatik am IAF
For details see

Is it possible to graduate in Ph.D. programs at the University of Applied Sciences?

The University of Applied Sciences (“HAW”= “Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften”) does not offer such programs. It is possible only at fully fletched Universities, which are called “Universität” in Germany. The requirements for application are different from faculty to faculty. Please contact them directly.



Do I need knowledge of German language before starting to study?

It is recommended to have basic German knowledge to facilitate the settling down in Germany. There is an intensive German language course starting in mid September. More German language courses are offered alongside the other courses.

What level of English fluency is required for application?

TOEFL test with score of 173 computer based minimum or equivalent.

Which language will be spoken during the lessons?

All courses are taught in English.

What is the code for TOEFL?

The Code Number is 7764, Hochschule Karlsruhe - University of Applied Sciences. But it is better to send the result directly to the Faculty of Information Management and Media.


General information

Where can I find information about scholarship?

DAAD:  http://www.daad.de
Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung:  http://www.fes.de/
Konrad-Adenauer-Stiftung:  http://www.kas.de
Friedrich-Naumann-Stiftung:  http://www.fnst.org
Heinrich Böll Stiftung:  http://www.boell.de/
Europa-Stipendien (only for EU-students and students from Eastern Europe): http://www.toepfer-stiftung.de/europa-stipendien/
Evangelisches Studienwerk: http://www.evstudienwerk.de/

What is the average program duration?

2 years (4 semesters)

Can I get a part-time job at the faculty?

A small number of scientific as well as non-scientific jobs are offered by the faculty. Maximum salary is 450 Euro per month, which is not sufficient for covering all living expenses.

What are the living expenses in Germany?

About € 600 at least.

What are the tuition fees?

Baden-Württemberg, the state Karlsruhe is located in, has introduced study fees for newly admitted students from outside the EU from winter semester 2017/18 onwards. The study fees are 1500 € per semester.



What is important for Chinese applicants?

If you are an applicant from China, please send your application to the “Akademische Prüfstelle” in Peking in order to proof the authenticity of your documents.

Mailing address:
Akademische Prüfstelle
Botschaft der Bundesrepublik Deutschland
Kulturreferat, Akademische Prüfstelle
Landmark Tower 2, Office 03118
8, Dogsanhuan Beilu
Chaoyang District, 100004 Peking
e-mail: kuapsspam prevention@bj.com

Your application is possible only with the certificate of APS.