Application and Course Choice

How can I apply?

Please contact Ms Lea Scholz from the International Office for further information. Here you can find the online application platform

What can I study as an exchange student and where can I find more information on courses?

All courses offered in the International Program, e.g. the schedule, room numbers, course description, credit points etc. can be found on our websites Courses in Winter Semester and Courses in Summer Semester.

If the course catalogue is not yet available at the time when the learning agreement is required by your home university, we advise you to choose courses from the course catalogue of the previous semester or the previous year.

Are the lectures conducted in English?

The language of instruction in all International Program courses is English.

Course Choice / Schedule

At German universities students are generally expected to be fully in charge of their studies. Thus, each student has to create his or her own program of courses individually. In case you need assistance in developing your schedule, please contact us. Check if the course requires previous knowledge, study level, etc. Please note that many courses have limited seats for students and the course registration are on a first come first serve basis.
Please be aware that very often schedules are announced just before the actual start of the semester. This might lead to time conflicts and means that you have to change your Learning Agreement after your arrival in Karlsruhe. Please see “How do I change my Learning Agreement”. 

Are there language courses for international students?

Yes, the Institut für Fremdsprachen IFS (Foreign Language Institute) coordinates the foreign language program at the Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences. Courses in a variety of languages are offered both during the semester and as two-week intensive courses during the lecture-free period.
All exchange students are given the opportunity to participate in German language courses (beginner – advanced, A1 – C1) during the semester. A placement test at the beginning of the semester is compulsory.
We highly recommend the course Germany Today (2 ECTS) in English, which is offered in cooperation with the Pädagogische Hochschule Karlsruhe. It introduces international students to topics related Germany. Advanced registration is required.
Here you can find further information.
For more information please contact Ms. Beate Koura, Building F, Room F 308.

How many courses should I take?

You should always discuss the requirements with your coordinator at your home university. HsKA does not require exchange students to obtain a certain number of credits. Credits are equivalent to ECTS credits (European Credit Transfer System). 60 ECTS credits equal a full year's work load and 30 ECTS equal one semester. However, in practice many exchange students accumulate fewer credits.

How do I change my Learning Agreement?

If courses are not offered, do clash with other courses or you are not eligible for admission, you will get the opportunity to pick new courses after your arrival. This is also applicable, if you change your mind about the courses you would like to take.

Course registration

How do I sign up for courses?

Please be aware that you will be able to register only once you have been enrolled, not before. By submitting the learning agreement you are NOT automatically registered for courses. Please register on LSF for all courses with numbers “IP ___” and “S ____” in which you wish to take part.

1. All courses with the course code IP and S can be found on LSF 

2. On LSF you can select the English language ≫ „Lectures“ ≫ „Course Overview“ ≫ „Zentrale Einrichtungen“ ≫ „Career Services“ ≫”International Program”

3. Choose a course from the list and apply for it with „apply now/cancel application” button
(Cancellation is the similar procedure)

4. An email for confirmation or waiting list information will be sent to your university email address

Where do I get my login credentials to the universities IT-systems?

Please visit the pages of the Information Center (IZ).

I have registered for a course on LSF but have not received any email?

The emails for confirmation or waiting list information will be sent to your university email address. Please check your email account frequently. Further information can be found here.

How do I sign up for courses at other departments?

All other lectures do not require online registration. By submitting the Learning Agreement you are automatically registered for these courses. Please note, that you are obliged to inform us about any changes applied to your original choice of courses.

What do I do if I'm waitlisted for a course?

Please note that many courses have limited seats for students and the course registration is based on a first come first serve system. If there are no slots left, you will be on the waiting list. If somebody cancels his/her registration, you will be forwarded to the list of participants and informed by email.

How do I cancel courses?

Should you decide not to attend a course you will have to deregister. This can be done in the same way as registration (Please see “How do I sign up for courses”).

How do I sign up for exams?

You need to register for all the courses you participated in and wish to appear on your transcript of records (for all the weekly lectures, for the intensive/weekend courses, for the foreign language courses…)
After having received your course confirmation you need to register for examination
Where: Online-Service 2
-> „Prüfungsverwaltung“ ≫ „Prüfungsanmeldung“ ≫ „Zusatzfächer (PO2)“ ≫ „Grundstudium“ ≫ choose course ≫ „anmelden“
(If you want to cancel your registration this can be done in the same way as the registration).
Deadlines for registration: You can find all details on LSF or in your course confirmation email.

As an exchange student (EZ) you will NOT be able to register on your own for lectures that are offered by the faculties (courses without course code IP and S). 

For registration I need a TAN-number. How do I obtain one?

You have to create a TAN list yourself. Please find further information on page 2 and 3 in the IZ-leaflet.

How do I cancel my exam registration?

If you want to cancel your registration this can be done in the same way as the registration (Please see “How do I sign up for courses”.

Transcript / Grading

How can I check my exam results?

You can check your grades online.

How: Online service 2 --> ”Prüfungsverwaltung” --> ”Notenspiegel“ --> “Abschluss / kein Abschluss möglich“ --> little button „info“

How do I get a transcript of records?

The International Office sends the official transcripts to the partner institution for each semester in which the students obtained grades. The transcripts for winter semester will be sent in March, the transcripts for summer semester in September.


The German Grading system is based on a scale from 1 to 6: 1 = excellent, 2 = good, 3 = satisfactory, 4 = pass, 5+6 = fail grades
The assessment methods vary and may include written exams, oral exams, essays, reports, projects, presentations, group works. Please note that some courses are pass/fail, no mark will be given.
For further information please see the webpage of the International office.


I am looking for an internship. Who can help me?

The Center of Competence does not provide any placement service. We offer a variety of other helpful services:
1. We recommend taking part in the course “IP 902 Accessing the German Labor Market”.
2. Start looking for a suitable internship. Have a look at our ‘Job Wall’
3. Compile your application documents and arrange for an appointment with Ms. Martina Link, room F 314, who will check your application and give some helpful advice.
4. Once you get a placement consult with Ms. Kerstin Schöttinger, room F 302, about ZAV exemption from work permit (this only applies if you are from a non-EU country).

Can't find the answer to your question on our website? Please email us or call +49 721 925 2506


Center of Competence
International Program
Miriam Heinrich
Individual consultation
Mon - Thur 9 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Tue + Thur 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.

F 313
Moltkestr. 30, 76133 Karlsruhe
Phone +49(0)721 925-2506
Fax +49(0)721 925-2530
Email internationalprogramspam

Approach plan