The AStA (Allgemeiner Studierendenausschuss, corresponds roughly to a Student Union) was changed by law in January 2014 to the "Verfasste Studierendenschaft", an institution incorporated under public law, of which all HsKA students are automatically members. Now, the managing board of the VS is called AStA. The AStA representatives are elected at the beginning of every winter semester out of the student body. Their job is to inform, organize, and take part in decision-making.
The AStA also represents the student body in the HsKA Senate. Four elected students hold seats here, in addition to the Senior Management, the Deans, and elected staff and academic staff representatives.
In this way students’ interests are represented by AStA representatives, who take part in all decisions regarding the University. The better communication between the AStA, the Fachschaften (faculty-level Students’ Council) and the student body works, the better students’ interests can be represented.
AStA is also involved in activities regarding university policy and administration or discussions about conditions for studying, often in co-operation with other students’ associations on a local, regional and national level.
AStA is best known by students for the parties it organises at the beginning of every semester, as well as for its summer and winter festivals. The AStA is composed of:
- The Chair
- External Affairs Representative
- Internal Affairs Representative
- The Finanzreferat (Financial Committee)
- The Eventreferat
- The Kulturreferat (Culture Committee)
- The Sozialreferat (Welfare Committee) offers help in the case of a student being removed from the register of students, for example, or with the application for a grant, as well as with other social problems.
- The Beauftragter für Ausländische Angelegenheiten (Representative for international affairs)
For more information, please see the AStA homepage!