Being a university of applied sciences (HAW), Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences cannot confer doctorates in our own right. On the other hand, many doctoral projects take place at HsKA: For instance, in December 2016 a total number of 74 doctoral candidates were supervised by HsKA in the frame of cooperative doctoral projects. This is one of the indicators for the quality of research at HsKA. The doctoral projects are either supervised individually or within the cooperation with the graduate or doctoral schools of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT).
Graduate school 1483 "Process Chains in Production“
The joint graduate school of KIT and HsKA was established in October 2008, the first one of its kind in Germany to be supported by the Deutschen Forschungsgemeinschaft DFG (German Research Foundation).
Please see the website of the graduate school for further information
Cooperative doctoral school "Analysis of Structural Conditions and Process Assessment“
This school was established in 2011 by KIT and HsKA and is supported by the Federal State of Baden-Württemberg. During the first stage until 2015, twelve researchers received scholarships. The program has been extended so that another twelve researchers can be supported during the second stage.
For further information, please see the website of the doctoral school (available in German language only)
Many doctoral projects are carried out individually, i.e. based on a cooperation with a national or international partner university. The candidate is supervised by advisors both at HsKA and the partner university, which must have the right to confer doctorates. In the past ten years, HsKA has jointly supervised several doctoral projects together with the following partner institutions:
- Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg
- Eberhard Karls Universität Tübingen
- Johannes Gutenberg-Universität Mainz
- Karlsruher Institut für Technologie (KIT)
- Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München
- Pädagogische Hochschule Karlsruhe
- Plymouth University, Vereinigtes Königreich
- Polytechnische Universität Temeswar, Rumänien
- Technische Universität Dresden
- Technische Universität Bergakademie Freiberg
- Technische Universität Darmstadt
- Technische Universität München
- Universidad Central Marta Abreu de las Villas, Kuba
- Universidad Valladolid, Spanien
- Universität Stuttgart
The Doktoranden-Netzwerk DocNet (doctoral network) at HsKA gives doctoral candidates the possibility to connect and exchange information. For further information, please see the pages of DocNet (available in German language only).