Rich in tradition

Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences goes back to the "Großherzogliche Badische Baugewerkeschule" (The Grand Duchy of Baden College of Building) founded in 1878. In 1919 it was renamed "Badische Höhere Technische Lehranstalt (Staatstechnikum)" (Baden Higher Technical School – State College of Technology). The "Staatstechnikum" then became a formative concept beyond Baden.

The stormy period of technical development after World War II saw the foundation of numerous state and private technical schools. This led to misunderstandings and mix-ups of their concepts, especially when students were evaluated abroad. So the college was again renamed in 1963 to "Staatliche Ingenieurschule Karlsruhe" (State Engineering School).

The problem of recognition and equivalence in engineering education in the European Community in the early 70s was a main driving force for the establishment of universities of applied sciences. On 1 October 1971, the "Staatliche Ingenieurschule Karlsruhe" became the "Fachhochschule Karlsruhe" (Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences), with approx. 1,500 students.

To emphasize that it belongs to the tertiary education sector (higher education), the university changed its name from January 1995 to "Fachhochschule Karlsruhe - Hochschule für Technik"; since July 2005 it is called "Hochschule Karlsruhe – Technik und Wirtschaft" (in English the name has remained Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences).

Today over 8,000 students are enrolled at Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences. Approx. 191 full-time professors, 17 honorary professors, 390 contract teachers and instructors as well as 452 employees teach and support them.

1878

Großherzogliche Badische Baugewerkeschule (The Grand Duchy of Baden College of Building)

1919

Badische Höhere Technische Lehranstalt (Staatstechnikum)
(Baden Higher Technical School – State College of Technology)

1963

Staatliche Ingenieurschule Karlsruhe (State Engineering School)

1971

Fachhochschule Karlsruhe (Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences)

1995

Fachhochschule Karlsruhe - Hochschule für Technik (Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences)

2005

Hochschule Karlsruhe - Technik und Wirtschaft (Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences)

The abstracted fan and pyramid forms of the university’s signet are a reference to Karlsruhe and show the close ties between the university and the Karlsruhe region. The line style used symbolizes the openness, dynamism and innovation power of the university. The corners of the red coloured areas stand for the university’s primary tasks: teaching, continued education and applied research, and development and technology transfer.