Foreign students need a certificate of exemption from the obligatory work permit in order to undertake a work placement in Germany.
Students from EU countries as well as from Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland are excluded. The certificate of exemption, which is issued by the ZAV, can be requested by the universities in Baden-Württemberg through KOOR or otherwise by another student exchange organisation recognized by ZAV or a comparable Institution.
Work placements which take place within programmes supported by the EU, e.g. Leonardo da Vinci, ERASMUS, etc. do not need an approval by the ZAV. In this case the local foreigners’ registration office is responsible.
The exemption from the work permit can only be granted for a maximum of 12 months.
As of 1 January 2015, Germany introduced a minimum wage of 8.84 EUR gross per hour including internships.
- mandatory internships (confirmation by means of certificate of enrolment issued by the home university, see below)
- internships not exceeding three months
Graduates are entitled to minimum wage without exception.
A copy of the following documents is required:
- ZAV form
- Certificate of enrolment issued by the home University, valid until the end of the internship (please use this document)
- Official letter from the company including the period of the work placement with start and end date, contact person, remuneration, department, working hours per day, working days per week and leave entitlement.
Please keep in mind that no more than 40 working hours per week are permitted. If the intern works less than 40 hours per week, it has to be particularly mentioned that the number of working hours is equal to full employment.
For voluntary internships, the company has to grant the days of leaves required by law.
- Job description
- If the monthly salary is less than 735 EUR gross, please fill out the declaration of commitment (has to be completed by a third person, not the employer)
Please note that the processing time usually takes three to four weeks.
Please send all the documents to:
Hochschule Karlsruhe – Technik und Wirtschaft
Center of Competence
Mon-Thu 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Tue & Thu 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. by arrangement