eLearning research project INTUITEL
Computer-based learning systems
Multinational eLearning research project coordinated by Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences co-financed with 2.9 million Euros
The multinational eLearning research project "Intelligent Tutoring Interface for Technology Enhanced Learning", or INTUITEL for short, commenced in October 2012. It is led by Professor Dr. Peter A. Henning from the Faculty of Computer Science and Business Information Systems of Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences, who is also head of the Institute for Computers in Education. With funding of 2.9 million euros and an interdisciplinary team of twelve partner institutions in Germany, Great Britain, Israel, Italy, the Netherlands, Austria and Spain, INTUITEL aims to enhance Learning Management Systems (LMS) with features that so far have been provided only by human tutors. Based on this new, integrated technology, unprecedented individual support will be given to learners during the learning process in e-learning environments. "This allows us to close a gap," says Prof. Dr. Peter A. Henning. "In the future, it will be much easier for students to complete e-learning courses and to receive personalized support without being deprived of their personal flexibility in terms of time and location."
Using INTUITEL, all data on the learner and the content that is stored to the LMS shall be enriched with additional information. In this context, information on the access device, the current learning environment, and, most importantly, general and subject-related educational models will be included in order to provide an overall picture of the individual learning situation. As a result, personalized learning recommendations can be created for each learner, so that they are effectively guided through the learning content.
Over the course of the three-year research project, the members of the project consortium, who are experts in the fields of e-learning, education and computer science, want to achieve the following four fundamental objectives:
1) Definition of an ontology based on semantic web technologies for computer-readable descriptions of learning models and domain-specific knowledge.
2) Specification of the interface description on how INTUITEL can be integrated into a Learning Management System, including the implementation in several commercial (e.g. CLIX, eXact learning LCMS and Crayons) and free e-learning platforms (e.g.ILIAS and Moodle)
3) Description of the new container format SLOM designed to manage learning content and educational information.
4) Implementation of the INTUITEL backend for the generation of personalized learning recommendations.
The following institutions are involved in the research project:
• Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences
• Steinbeis Innovation gGmbH
• The University of Reading
• University of Vienna
• Universidad Internacional De La Rioja
• Holon Institute of Technology
• Fraunhofer Society for the Promotion of Applied Research
• TIE Nederland B. V.
• FZI at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
• Universidad de Valladolid
• eXact Learning Solutions SPA
• IMC Information Multimedia Communication AG
INTUITEL is co-financed by the European Commission under the 7th Framework Programme | Grant Agreement No. 318496
Cllick here for INTUITEL homepage