Looking for a place to live?

As there are eight higher education institutions in Karlsruhe, student residency halls are in high demand each semester. Therefore we recommend that you start looking for accommodation as soon as possible.

The International Office of HsKA has a small number of rooms in the student residency halls at its disposal, as applicants at the Studierendenwerk (Student Services) are usually placed on a one-semester waiting list. Students of the international program and exchange students will receive information about the application procedure when they receive their admission, or shortly afterwards. But remember, first come first serve; we can only guarantee that you will receive a room at a hall of residence during your first semester in Karlsruhe if you apply in advance!

Regular bachelor's and master degree students will find the following links helpful in order to look for a room in a hall of residence or at private lodging facilities.

For more information about the student halls of residence managed by the Studierendenwerk, please see the following website.

The Verein der Freunde der Hochschule Karlsruhe offers rooms in the Karl-Hans-Albrecht-Haus.

Hadiko is a hall of residence which is managed by students themselves.

It is possible to stay for a few days in the Youth Hostel, which is right next to the HsKA campus, or book a temporary holiday accommodation through casamundo or 9flats.

The following portals can help you find a flat or a room in a shared student flat ("WG"):

shared student flat search engine by German Rectors' Conference















The German-language portal Vergleich provides information on how to apply for a room in a WG or what living there entails.

The following German-language newspapers include advertisements for rooms:

  • Badische Neueste Nachrichten, Karlsruhe's local daily paper. The Saturday edition contains the largest number of advertisements.
  • Der Kurier, a weekly paper for advertisements and official announcements, which is distributed free-of-charge in people's mailboxes, or available at the office in Amalienstraße on Thursday at 6 p.m.
  • Sperrmüll, available at newspaper agents' or on its online platform.